Model TL (Coupe)

Two-seater drophead coupe

Model designation: TL

Nickname: "Coupť Docteur", doctor's car

Description:
The bodywork consists of an ashwood-frame on which a bodyshell made from bent sheetmetal is fixed by nails. The form of the boot corresponds to that of the two-seater torpedo. The deck lid was in the beginning bigger than on the model T2, therefore no luggage racks could be fitted. The car has only one door on the passenger side which opens to the front, contrary on rhd cars. The doorhinges were fitted visibly. A tensioned conical bolt reduced undesired vibrations on the door. The door handle is T-shaped and operated from the outside. The spare wheel was fitted on the drivers side, inside out, and fitted with a tyre upon delivery.

Picture 1: Model TL with closed hood

A very comfortable seat accomodates two persons.On the first models the passenger seat was slightly backsprung. The trunk in the car's boot is in its first version provided with a big deck lid which opens to the top. Furthermore there is a small compartment with a deck lid behind the seats.

Picture 2: Interior at closed hood

Mudguards and frame cover are made from black enamelled sheetmetal. All four mudguards were provided with bordures.

The headlamps are adjustable by a nickel plated connecting rod. Apart from normal road light there is also the possibility to switch on a parking light.

The internal side panels were provided with pockets. The floor was covered by a black brush-carpet. In the beginning the dashboard was made from tap-ground aluminium (probably until autumn 1923) and provided with some instruments. The upper part of the two-piece windshield can be inclined and fixed at any position. The pivoting point is in the upper third of its frame. The side windows hide in the door and side panel. These windows can be set up also when the hood is folded. The glide in a rail on the windshield columns.

The hood is made from waterresistant fabric or black skai with a metal folding mechanism and is equipped with a spreading device. Inside the hood there are hood-protectors. The hood can be opened and closed form the inside of the car. Seats and interior are covered by black skai.

 

Model TL on short chassis (TL/C2)

Production period from October 1922 until September 1923

The Coupe is basing on a chassis type C2 with a wheelbase of 2.25m. The bonnet is provided with sixteen airvents on either side. For a short period the engine was fitted with battery-ignition, later with a magneto.

Picture 3: Model TL with folded hood

The running board measures 170x880mm. The wooden frame construction was reinforced in the boot by two lateral bent irons (5x30). The wheel dimension is 700x80 (high pressure tyres).

Picture 4: Interior with open hood

Following [L37 the paints were at least until March 1923 yellow and brown (havane), later then burgundy red®(marroon), blue and brown (havane). Rims, mudguards, lamps etc. are black.

Colour Surface Referred parts
 

 

Black enamel mudguards, frame cover, rims, windshield columns, license plate, cover rail.
   
Yellow and brown (havane) bodywork, bonnet.
 

 

Black skai seat, seatrest, side panels, pockets
 

 

Nickel plated radiator shell, lamp rims, Lamps connecting rod, steering column, fuel tank cover,rail behind bonnet, bonnet locks, windshield frame.

Picture 5: Modell TL in dark paint with high-pressure tyres and folded hood

Picture 6: Big deck lid of the first version

 

Production period from October 1923 until June 1926

In 1923 the chassis was modified. It increased in legth, became overslung over the rear axle and got closed by a rear traverse. The chassis C3 is now basing on a wheelbase of 2.35m. The rear reinforcings on the body were no more necessary. The bodywork also increased by 10cm in length, which is visible on the bigger distance between sparewheel and rear wing. The running board measures now 170x980mm. From that time on transversal friction shock absorbers (Hartford type 100) were fitted on the rear axle. As many customers asked for, following the dealers information of March 1924 L172, the deck lid was modified identically to that of the torpedo. The dashboard is now made from mahoganywood. The first version of it bore one decorating line on the dashboard and the side parts below the side windows and was subsequently substituted by one with two lines. The interior was offered for burgundy-red (marroon) cars in red skai, for brown (havane) cars in brown and for blue cars in black skai.
From 1 June 1925 on all cars were equipped with "Confort" balloon tyres, introduced by Michelin, and the corresponding beaded-edge rims (715x115). The cooling system was improved from 1. June 1925 on by a ventilator.

Picture 7: Model TL with conventional "flat" mudguards and folded hood

Picture 8: Model TL with conventional "flat" mudguards and closed hood

Picture 9: Interior of the model TL

The passenger seat is no more backsprung. The yellow paint is substituted by burgundy red (marroon) and dark blue (bleu canon). The car remains available in brown (havane).

Colour Surface Referred parts
 

 

Black enamel mudguards, frame cover, rims, windshield columns, license plate, cover rail.
     
Burgundy red (marroon), blue or brown (havane) bodywork, bonnet.
 

 

Black skai seat, seatrest, side panels, pockets.
 

 

Nickel plated radiator shell, lamp rims, Lamps connecting rod, steering column, fuel tank cover,rail behind bonnet, bonnet locks, windshield frame.

From autumn 1925 on the drophead was equipped with round mudguards from pressed steel and with a new, oval rear axle.

Picture 10: Model TL with round mudguards and folded hood

Picture 11: Model TL with round mudguards and closed hood

Remark:
Drop-centre rims, developped by Michelin (Bibendum, 12x45), were available only from 1927 on and substituted subsequently the beaded-edge rims on the still running vehicles.